Your Defense Is In My Capable Hands
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- Traffic Law and DUI
After 3 years prosecuting full-time after law school until 1982, David Heilberg worked in solo practice for the next 23 years. After 1 more year practicing with Martin & Wren during 2005, he was a partner at Dygert, Wright and Heilberg, PLC until 2020. Following that, he returned to solo practice through the present.
He received a BA in 1975 from Union College and his JD from Washington & Lee University in 1979.
Mr. Heilberg started his law practice in Charlottesville in 1982.
He represents clients throughout Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Mr. Heilberg handles criminal trials, civil trials and appeals in both the state and federal courts. Mr. Heilberg has tried more than 100 cases to juries, including capital murder charges.
Mr. Heilberg is a member of the National and Virginia Associations of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Virginia Bar, the Virginia Trial Lawyer's Association and is a member of the Charlottesville – Albemarle Criminal and local Bar Associations.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, Lexington, Virginia
- J.D. - 1979
- Union College Schenectady, NY
- B.A. - 1975
- Major: Political Science
- Virginia, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Former President
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Board Member
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- AV* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell/Lawyers.com
- 10.0 “Superb”, Avvo
- Super Lawyers, 2011 - 2020
- Defending Criminal Cases in Virginia published by the VACDL and Virginia CLE Publications
- Co-editor of manual and author of Eyewitness Identification Chapter, for 4 updated editions through 2024., 2024